Ready to Borrow Scheme: Small Capital Grants
Museum Development East Midlands is pleased to announce a new round of capital grants in the region, funded by Arts council England and administered by MDEM, equalling £232,800.
The scheme encourages museums in the region to make partnerships with national museums through borrowing objects. Museums can apply for grants of up to £50K to purchase capital assets that enable projects to meet the required standards of national museums when loaning their collections. This is a very exciting grant fund for the region and as such we expect application numbers to be high. Grant applications open on 17th August 2016 with a closing date of 24th October 2016.
What can the funding cover:
The funding is designed to fund capital works to help museums to accept loans from national museums. This may include:
– upgrade in gallery security
– purchasing of display cases
– investment in monitoring equipment
– upgrading the environment in gallery spaces
– other associated works
– grants of £50K will only be awarded in exceptional circumstances – it is likely most grants will be £20-30K.
Who is eligible:
Only museums who are accredited or working towards accreditation are eligible to apply for the fund. Unfortunately, Major Partner Museums are not eligible. If applying you will need to demonstrate:
– capital assets to purchase and full costing
– the objects planned to borrow
– the museum(s) planning to borrow from
– exhibition resulting from loans
– whether your museum has worked with national partners before
– what impact this activity will have on the museum’s future resilience
How to apply:
Applications to the scheme are now open, the closing date is the 24th October. We will be hosting a launch workshop in partnership with the University of Nottingham Museum who have previously benefited from the fund, which we strongly advise all applicants to attend:
You can find more information and download the application form here. In the first instance please speak to Claire Browne, Regional Programme Manger about your application and project ideas. You can contact Claire at Claire.firstname.lastname@example.org or 07973 800072.